By the time children leave Kinderley at the end of Year 6 we aim for them to have achieved the following skills set in swimming:
- Pencil jump with arms above the head showing good control
- Tread water for two minutes showing 360oturns in vertical position, one in each direction.
- Head first surface dive and 5m swim underwater
- 10m breaststroke showing good technique
- 10m front crawl showing regular breathing
- 25m swim on front or back
- Push and glide on the front into a front somersault
- Scull head first for 5m
- 10m butterfly legs holding a float
The children who joined in Reception and left school in July 2018 have had ten hour-long swimming lessons every year. A number of children had fewer lessons having joined the school at a later stage. 42% of the year group joined during KS2, with 17% joining during Y6.
This table shows the percentage of children achieving the skills set in 2017/18:
|All||Joined before Y6||Kinderley since YR|
|2017-18 Y6 cohort||50%||60%||86%|